Are you a science graduate who is keen to establish or further a career in STM publishing? Could you apply your enthusiasm and scientific background in a fast-paced editorial environment? Future Science Group (FSG) is seeking an Assistant Editor to play an important role in the running of FSG’s digital content hubs.
Founded in 2001, FSG is a progressive scientific publisher, curating trusted online, print and in-person resources to serve the scientific and medical communities. Although our foundation is in cutting-edge, peer-reviewed scientific journals, we have expanded over the years to publish digital/virtual hubs and run events, as well as offering creative services and publishing solutions.
Reporting to a Senior Editor, the holder of this role will be responsible for devising and delivering editorial content primarily for the sister digital hub of our renowned life sciences journal, BioTechniques.
The role holder will produce and commission engaging content for our audience of scientists, including news articles, longer-reads, interviews, panel discussions and multimedia content. They will support the editorial team in the management of the digital hub and its social media channels, as well as work with the whole Digital team at Future Science Group to ensure editorial best practice and product growth.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Content production and commissioning for our digital hubs – for example, news articles, longer-reads, interviews, panel discussions and multimedia content
- Planning and managing the content pipeline in partnership with the editorial team
- Social media channel management
- Establishing and maintaining effective stakeholder relationships with key contacts in the field, including the Editorial Board
- Working closely with Senior Editor and whole team to ensure day-to-day activity aligns with overarching strategic goals
- Working with the entire Digital team to share best practice in content and community management, audience engagement and sharing ideas for development and problem-solving
This position is based in our North London offices, located close to Finchley Central tube station. The role will be office-based (COVID-permitting).
The successful applicant can expect to be warmly welcomed into the team, who are all based in our friendly and fast-paced London office. FSG is a unique place to work, not least because of our future-focused outlook, collaborative spirit and numerous philanthropic projects. Find out more about what it’s like to work at FSG here: www.future-science-group.com
- A Bachelor’s qualification in the life sciences, chemistry, pharmaceutical science or a related field at a 2:1 standard or above
- A high level of attention to detail, excellent organisation and time-management, an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, strong communication skills, and a keenness to build a knowledge of publishing and scientific communications
- Experience (work-based or voluntary) or a post-graduate qualification in journalism, scientific writing, scicomms or similar
Full training will be given to the successful candidate. There will be ample opportunities for the successful candidate to develop quickly and assume responsibility for the content and future direction of our digital resources.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV with cover letter explaining your interest in the role and salary expectations to the Senior Editor, Abi Sawyer ([email protected]). Early applications are encouraged.
Future Science Group is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.