Authors can opt for our open access option (CC BY-NC-ND), allowing unrestricted access to the online version of their article. The open access option is available for all article types except Drug Evaluation & Device Evaluation articles.
Articles published in our fully open access journals are published under a CC-BY license as standard.
All articles are subject to our standard peer-review process and will be accepted or rejected based on their own merit. Authors are welcome to wait until acceptance before deciding on the open access option.
You may be interested to see results of our recent survey, represented by the infographic below, conducted during Open Access Week.
Fees and Payment
The open access option fee varies by journal as follows:
|Journal||Open access fee|
|Fully open access journals
|†Plus VAT where applicable.
#Fee of £610 only applies to content that is not reviewed externally, e.g. editorials,
Authors are required to complete a license form and payment form. The publication fee is charged at the point the article is accepted and payment in full should be paid within 30 days (preferably by credit card) by the author or other funding body. Articles will be made open access once payment has been received. Authors not paying by credit card may request to be invoiced in US Dollars or Euros at the prevailing equivalent rate (using www.xe.com). The source of funding for open access fees should be included in the Financial & Competing Interests Disclosure statement.
Wellcome Trust open access policy compliance
In order to comply with Wellcome Trust policy for open access, Wellcome Trust-funded authors are able to opt for our open access option. In return for payment of an article processing fee and signing our open access agreement, we will make their article freely available to subscribers and nonsubscribers on our website. We will also arrange for the final published version to be deposited into PubMed Central and UK PubMed Central on publication of their article, providing the open access payment has been received. Third parties will be entitled to re-use the Article, in whole or in part, in accordance with the conditions outlined in the Creative Commons Deed, Attribution 4.0 (CC-BY).
Wellcome Trust-funded authors are required to complete a separate license form and payment form.
Use by commercial ‘for-profit’ organizations
Use of open access option articles for commercial purposes is not permitted. However, support for free access is available to third parties subject to the appropriate permission fees.
Commercial purposes include:
- Copying or downloading of articles, or linking to such articles for further redistribution, sale or licensing
- Copying, downloading or posting by a site or service that incorporates advertising with such content
- The inclusion or incorporation of article content in other works or services (other than normal quotations with an appropriate citation) that is then available for sale or licensing, for a fee (for example, a compilation produced for marketing purposes, inclusion in a sales pack)
- Use of article content (other than normal quotations with appropriate citation) by for-profit organizations for promotional purposes
- Linking to article content in e-mails redistributed for promotional, marketing or educational purposes
- Use for the purposes of monetary reward by means of sale, resale, license, loan, transfer or other form of commercial exploitation such as marketing products.
For any reuse of open access content published by Future Science Group, please contact email@example.com in the first instance.
If you have a query regarding our open access option please contact Laura Dormer, Senior Manager.