To celebrate International Women’s Day 2021 (8 March), Future Science Group (FSG; London, UK), a progressive scientific and medical publisher, is delighted to announce the publication of a new infographic depicting some of the key results from our recent survey exploring gender equality in STEM.
International Women’s Day, first held in 1911, is marked each year on 8 March as a day to celebrate women’s achievements, as well as to serve as a call-to-action for accelerating gender parity.
The theme for International Women’s Day 2021 is #ChooseToChallenge, with the campaign explaining: “A challenged world is an alert world…We can all choose to challenge and call out gender bias and inequality. We can all choose to seek out and celebrate women’s achievements .”
This year, as part of our activities to mark International Women’s Day, our team at FSG designed a survey exploring gender equality in STEM and what actions we could take to promote equality for all genders, including supporting women in their pursuit of STEM studies and careers.
We had an overwhelming response to our survey and are delighted to announce the publication of a new infographic depicting some of the key results, which is freely available to view across all of FSG’s Digital Hubs, including Bioanalysis Zone and RegMedNet.
A panel of researchers from across STEM disciplines also convened to discuss some of the survey results in more detail in the latest episode of the BioTechniques ‘Talking Techniques’ podcast series, which can be accessed here.
Freya Leask, Publisher at FSG, commented: “As a progressive publisher focused on breakthrough research, International Women’s Day offers a nexus to celebrate the fantastic science and scientists we work with throughout the year. As a stakeholder in the field of STEM, we are delighted to use our platform to promote gender equality and equity, and we will continue to #ChooseToChallenge wherever we can.”
We are also celebrating International Women’s Day across our Digital Hubs – find out more:
- Women to Watch: investigating the role of mitochondria retention in Menkes disease with Dr Kaela Singleton
- Women to Watch: developing precision medicine therapies for brain tumor patients with Dr Analiz Rodriguez
- Women to Watch: understanding the physiology of the cerebellum with Dr Martha Streng
- Women to Watch: determining clinical utility of genomic classifiers for tumor subtypes with Dr Maggie Cheang
- Women to Watch: exploiting the therapeutic potential of stem cells with Dr Vivian Li
- Women to Watch: cryopreserving ovarian tissue with Maxine Semple
- Women to Watch: moving cell therapy products towards validation with Stacey Brower
- Establishing cost–benefit trade-offs of new health technologies: a day in the life of Olivia Wu
- Examining institutional and environmental contexts framing health-related decisions: a day in the life of Eberechukwu Onukwugha
- Designing structured nanoscale materials that exhibit extraordinary properties: a day in the life of Teri Odom
- Exploring new treatment options in the field of cancer: a day in the life of Wafa Al-Jamal
 International Women’s Day. IWD 2021 campaign theme: #ChooseToChallenge.
[Accessed 4 March 2021]
 United Nations. International Women’s Day.
[Accessed 8 March 2021]
About Future Science Group
Founded in 2001, FSG is a progressive publisher focused on breakthrough medical, biotechnological and scientific research. FSG’s portfolio consists of two imprints, Future Science and Future Medicine. Both publish eBooks and journals. In addition to this core publishing business, FSG develops specialist knowledge networks and content hubs, enabling professionals to easily connect and collaborate with their peers in niche scientific fields.
The aim of FSG is to service the advancement of clinical practice and drug research by enhancing the efficiency of communications among clinicians, researchers and decision-makers, and by providing innovative solutions to their information needs. This is achieved through a customer-centric approach, use of new technologies, products that deliver value-for-money and uncompromisingly high standards.